Full-Time Gallery Director
Galerie Maria Bernheim seeks a full-time Gallery Director. The position reports to the Gallery Founder and is based in Zurich, Switzerland. The ideal candidate has at least five years related experience. Superior communication skills, the ability to time manage and meet deadlines, is required. This position will involve contact with curators, artists, and clients, therefore discretion and poise are essential.
- MS/MA both in Business Administration and Art Market Management
- Minimum of 5+ years of continuous experience in an art gallery
- Established private client network in the USA, Switzerland and Russia
- Proven track record of sales
- Intrinsic knowledge of the Swiss and American art markets
- Established professional relationships with public and corporate institutions in the USA and Switzerland
- Experience in sourcing outside funding for artists projects
- Proven experience in international art shipping and logistics as well as extensive knowledge of the American, Swiss and European Taxes, VAT and Custom regimes
- Proficiency in accounting and financial processes (budgeting, financial closure, reporting, etc.)
- Experience in managing art fairs for a gallery
- Existing third-party vendor network in Switzerland, USA & EU for transport, art handling, shipping and storage systems for art fairs and traveling exhibitions
- Legal knowledge of consignments and loans agreements
- Excellent command of English, German and Russian languages (both written and spoken)
- Excellent proficiency with Mac,Outlook/Excel,ArtLogic, MailChimp and AdobeSuit
- Extensive list of press contacts
- Must possess a professional, positive work demeanor and the ability to work effectively with vendors, clients, and co-workers.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with proven ability to take initiative and build strong, productive relationships.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Manage the gallery’s relationship with the artists and their studios.
- Manage the artist-related matters, including but not limited to, internal and external exhibitions, publications, press, research, logistics, and other
- Be responsible for artist related archives (documents and publications) and special projects such as catalogue raisonées.
- Ensure all information in databases is up-to-date and accurate.
- Facilitate production; establishing and monitoring production budget and timeline.
- Oversee and managing the cost control process for artist related exhibitions and projects.
- Establish system for monitoring commissions and consignments/loans.
- Prepare materials and documents for offers, exhibition checklists, and viewings
- Organization of shows – venues, exhibitions, and fair booths etc.
- Arrange international and domestic shipments of artworks for exhibitions, inventory, art fairs, and clients
- Material management of works of art (preparation for transport, delivery, installation, presentation, packaging, storage of stocks etc.) customs, tax regulations and documents required for international shipments
- Update artwork locations and applicable information in gallery database; maintain inventory
- Oversee art handler, registrar, shipping, accounting functions within GMB
- Manage and control GMB operational expenditures within approved budget
- Track and monitor all sales invoices, payments and shipping
- Create and manage invoices (primary sales, miscellaneous, and shipping)
- Collect, process, and record all client payments
- Compile monthly receipts and expense reports
- Post art fair local and international tax filing
- Work with an external accountant on reconciliation, audit, and tax preparation
The position is Wednesday -Saturday, 12:00am to 6:00pm. Applicant will occasionally need to work additional hours for art fairs and openings. Only qualified candidates will be contacted. Absolutely no calls or walk-ins, please.
Please send your resume, cover letter, and three professional references to email email@example.com
Apply for this Job