Full-Time Executive Director
JOB PACK: Executive Director, Scottish Dance Theatre (part of Dundee Rep and Scottish Dance Theatre Limited)
• Full-Time job – Dundee, Scotland, United Kingdom
• Job Title: Executive Director, Scottish Dance Theatre
• Responsible to: SDT Artistic Director/joint CEO
• Responsible for: General Manager, Head of Production, Senior Producer
Dundee Rep and Scottish Dance Theatre sit at the cultural heart of Scotland and the City of Dundee. Founded in 1939, the Rep building is a centre of creative energy, a space for engagement with a wide range of art forms, whilst also playing a lead role in arts education and engagement across the city and beyond. Proud of its Scottish roots, the organisation looks outwards, producing dance and theatre of national and international significance, for and with a diverse audience.
Sited in a purpose-built art space, Dundee Rep and Scottish Dance Theatre create and deliver work for a local audience, as well as on a national and international scale.
The model is unique. Two creative forces share a home and a legal structure. Having a permanent acting ensemble is rare (unique in Scotland), but combined with a dance company and extensive creative learning, it makes the Rep building one of a kind and a hub of creative energy.
Scottish Dance Theatre
FIVE STARS …bold, breath-taking stuff performed by a company at the top of its game The Herald
FOUR STARS…the company has never looked better The Scotsman
Scottish Dance Theatre is Scotland’s principal contemporary dance company and is fast becoming one of the foremost contemporary dance companies in Europe. We are a research engine for dance and commission the most exciting artists to make original and exclusive works which we bring to Scotland and the world.
The company is made up of an international team of dancers and staff who live and work in Dundee and tour extensively. Artistic Director Fleur Darkin is an award-winning choreographer and producer of new ideas from brilliant artists.
Our roots as a community dance company have created a singular approach to dance-making and engaging with audiences. We take dance across scales and spaces – from village halls in Mull to main stages in Delhi. Inclusivity, in all senses, is part of our signature, as is collaboration and an attention to beautiful production values.
To work closely with the Artistic Director/joint CEO to develop and deliver the key strategic goals of our business plan through growing the creation and touring model to connect our work to broad audiences.
To maintain and develop strong partnerships and to attract key investors and stakeholders;
to contribute to the ongoing growth of the company’s public reputation and the internal leadership ethos.
Together with the Artistic Director/joint CEO, to lead the team of Scottish Dance Theatre in our mission and support the realisation of our goals.
To work with the Artistic Director/joint CEO to build a contemporary production and touring model that will facilitate the company’s artistic vision for innovative work from Scotland to reach audiences around the world.
Together with the Senior Producer and wider team, develop a production strategy that will create increased opportunities and to facilitate the growth of new projects.
Working closely with the General Manager, to prepare budgets and to have a painstaking eye for financial detail to ensure productions are run with control and are good value for the company; to work towards increasing our overall share of earned income.
To take lead responsibility for the development of Scottish Dance Theatre’s international and UK wide touring strategy and negotiate strong touring/engagement deals.
To work alongside Scottish Dance Theatre’s Associate International Producer and Senior Producer to create international tours, including preparation and management of applications to funding bodies such as British Council, Creative Scotland.
To oversee the co-ordination of major projects, negotiate financial contracts with creatives and manage freelance producers and creatives employed for such projects.
Alongside the Artistic Director/joint CEO, lead on key stakeholder funding agreements, and to attend relevant external meetings. To manage all investor relationships, ensuring annual returns and monitoring requirements are fulfilled.
To travel ahead of the company to generate future projects as appropriate; to travel with the company to provide senior management support for national and international tours as appropriate.
To identify and develop new partnerships and funding and sponsorship opportunities for the company. Working closely with senior members of the team, to identify and develop new partnerships and funding to propose and write funding applications to trusts and foundations.
With the Artistic Director/joint CEO, to manage a strong working relationship between Scottish Dance Theatre and Dundee Rep Theatre within Dundee Rep and Scottish Dance Theatre Limited. This includes: being a member of the leadership team of Dundee Rep and Scottish Dance Theatre Limited; negotiating the Central Recharge paid by Scottish Dance Theatre; reporting to the Dundee Rep and Scottish Dance Theatre Limited finance sub-committee,; and attending Board meetings of Dundee Rep and Scottish Dance Theatre Limited.
Together with the Artistic Director/joint CEO, to act as a senior advocate for the company,
within the locality, on national and international platforms, and within the sector.
Together with the Artistic Director/joint CEO, to take responsibility for the management of the Scottish Dance Theatre team, and to ensure a healthy organisational and professional working culture.
Together with the Artistic Director/joint CEO, to actively promote and ensure implementation of Dundee Rep and Scottish Dance Theatre Limited’s Equalities, Diversity and Inclusion Plan.
This list of responsibilities is not exhaustive and the Executive Director may be required to perform additional duties as required by the Artistic Director/joint CEO or the Board of Directors.
You will have most or all of these and be able to evidence them in your application/at interview:
• Significant experience of theatre/dance producing and national and international tour management/booking experience and contacts (UK, Europe, international)
• An entrepreneurial and self-motivated approach
• A genuine flair for working collaboratively with artists, venues and other stakeholders to make things happen
• Experience of and demonstrable success in fundraising
• A high level of verbal and written communication skills and political sensitivity
• Creative thinking and problem solving ability
• An ability to engage strategically whilst being able to pay attention to detail
• A desire and ability to travel extensively within the UK and internationally
• A passion for, and knowledge of, the performance/dance sector
• Able to operate well in fast-paced environments; responsive and flexible
• Competent and experienced financial manager
• Experienced and skilled team manager with a good knowledge of HR/employment practice and a people-centred approach
• The salary will be £45,000 per annum. Salary will be reviewed annually in April.
• The notice period will be three months either side – with a 6 month probationary period from the start of employment during which the notice period is 1 month either side.
• The company will make a 3% contribution per month to a Group Personal Pension Plan provided that you match the contribution with your own contribution of not less than 4% net of your basic earnings per month.
• Holiday entitlement is 20 days per annum plus statutory days, rising to 25 days after five years completed service.
• Hours of work will be 37.5 hours a week, with regular evening and weekend working. Overtime is not paid but Time Off in Lieu is given for excess hours worked
• Dundee Rep and Scottish Dance Theatre Limited is an equal opportunities employer.
Scottish Dance Theatre
Organisation Structure (April 2018)
Apply for this Job